Life took over after my last post over FOUR years ago. It is hard to believe! Time passes far more quickly than we ever think it is going to. I just celebrated my forty-something birthday and now I am really closer to fifty than I am to forty.
I wonder how much my life is going to change in the next four years?
I read my last entry, written back when I was in the sharp pain of losing my daughter that we had taken guardianship over. Time has pretty much healed that, although she never did return to us, and has not spoken to us again. She chose to move out of state with a boyfriend against our wishes, and because of that, we had to appear in court to dissolve our guardianship. There are times I feel very sad over it, but I also know that we did the best we could for her, and that we can't control the choices other people make. I am, for the most part, at peace with it now.
After she left, I took the money we planned on spending for her college and went back to school myself, furthering my own degree.
Then we fostered a sweet girl for two years, who did get to go back home with her mom. We call her "Gator" because she smiles with her whole face. Such a sweet soul! I remain in contact with her, although she now lives 4 hours away from us. I pray she continues to do well, and that her folks keep up the good work.
We briefly fostered a teen boy who we called "Stomp" because he walked with such heavy feet. No way he was sneaking up on anyone! He ended up not being a good match for our family, mostly due to the dysfunction of his own family and their antics. He is now in a youth facility, hopefully learning better life skills than the folks who are supposed to be raising him. So many of the kids we see in foster care are raised in such dysfunction....it is heartbreaking!
Just over a year ago we took in Dayton. I don't use a nickname for him, because Dayton is what we will call him when the adoption is finalized, hopefully in the next 12 months. He will be 3 in January and just a sweet little guy. We love him to pieces, and he will be our last child. We are getting too old to be taking all these wee ones! Our grandson is older than our son now.
The world is such a crazy place right now. Far crazier than I ever remember it being in my lifetime. We have hurricanes, fires burning out of control, a psychopath shooting over 500 people at a concert, political discord.....not just finger pointing while nothing gets done......but true riots and hatred and a huge division in our country. It makes me want to gather up those I love and run off to an isolated place. I try to keep faith that this is all playing out according to God's plan, and that keeping my eyes on eternity rather than on the here and now is the key.
Okay, enough rambling for one entry. Next time I will actually try to have a topic!
MamaDuck
No comments:
Post a Comment